The downpayment assistance program is comprised of two parts, the Mortgage Credit Certificate and the Downpayment Assistance Program. To be eligible for both programs all future homeowners are required to receive their Homebuyer Education Certificate
Mortgage Credit Certificate
The MCC Program provides a tax credit up to $2,000/year for the life of the mortgage loan!
How to Apply
- Choose a Lender. Lenders must be approved by Hilltop Securities to participate in the Garland HFC MCC/DPA Program. Interested lenders should contact Hilltop Securities Inc. at 214.953.4176 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Your application for MCC, with or without the DPA must be made before loan closing.
- Read and sign your Program application and affidavit and other documentation that the lender prepares and sends to the program administrator.
- If your Program application is approved, the program administrator will coordinate with Garland HFC to release the funds to title for your closing.
- Sign the MCC Closing Affidavit with the other closing documents at loan closing.
What is an MCC?
How it Works
A Mortgage Credit Certificate provides a tax credit up to $2,000 a year as long as the homebuyer occupies the home and has a mortgage. Calculated by taking the annual interest on the mortgage loan multiplied by the mortgage credit rate of 35%. For example, on a $120,000 loan at a 6.00% interest rate, the annual interest is approximately $7,200. An MCC tax credit of 35% of the interest paid would equal $2,520. (35% x $7,200 = $2,520). However, the maximum annual credit allowable is $2,000.
Can assist in qualifying the homebuyer for more home. For Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, you can increase the homebuyer’s income by the tax credit amount. For FHA, you can reduce the monthly payment by the tax credit amount. This results in increased buyer capacity to qualify for the mortgage loan. There is no added benefit with VA. (Maximum Tax Credit Amount of $2,000/12 = $166.67)
How to Qualify
- Your loan qualifying income must not exceed the limits shown below.
- You must not have owned a principal residence in the last three years unless you are a Qualified Veteran.
- You must occupy the home as your principal residence.
- You must apply for the MCC, with or without the DPA through a participating Lender.
- You must attend a Homebuyer Education Class/li>
- You must purchase a home within the Eligible Loan Area
MCC and DPA Program Limits
Non-Targeted Area 1 or 2 persons: $86,200 | 3 + persons: $99,130
Targeted Area 1 or 2 persons: $103,440 | 3 + persons: $120,680
Maximum Purchase Price:
New & Existing Non-Targeted Areas: $356,046
Targeted Areas: $435,167
Eligible Loan Area
Targeted Census Tracts
The cost for the MCC Program is $100 MCC Application Fee, $250 Closing Package Review Fee and 1.00% MCC Issuance Fee. The fees can be paid by buyer, seller, lender, or rolled into the loan. GHFC offers a Down Payment Assistance Programs to help mitigate this and other closing costs. PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE DPA PROGRAM ASSISTANCE PAGE
MCC Package Review Fee: $250
MCC Issuance Fee: $1,000
No Additional Application Fees for DPA
Fees are due at closing and may be paid by the seller, borrower or lender.
Down Payment Assistance Program
This program was designed to mitigate the upfront cost of the MCC PROGRAM and must be used in conjunction with it.
- A non‐forgivable second lien of $5,000 per household is available to eligible homebuyers. The amount to be repaid uses the following schedule:
- $5,000.00 if the homebuyer(s) pay(s) the Note in full on or before the 36th month from the date of the Note
- $5,500.00 if the homebuyer(s) pay(s) the Note in full after the 36th month from the date of the Note and prior to the 72nd month from the date of the Note
- Thereafter the amount due will be $6,000.00
- First‐Time Home Buyer
- Purchase a home in Garland, Texas
- Gross income of all individuals executing the Deed of Trust cannot exceed the maximum income limits, for 1‐2 persons is $83,609 and for 3 or more persons is $96,151.
- Purchase price of the home cannot exceed the maximum sales price, whether the home you buy is new or existing, is $356,046
- Must occupy the property as the primary residence Meet standard mortgage underwriting requirements with FHA, VA, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac or USDA‐RHS, as applicable demonstrating creditworthiness
- Standard MCC program fees apply
*See MCC Program Summary for additional guidelines. The program is subject to available funds.